These are quick, easy & sure to be crowd-pleasers! They go by many names but here in Ohio they are commonly known as Hanky Pankys! Best of all you can serve this appetizer in a variety of ways- they are easily made into individual appetizers or you can place the mixture into a crock-pot and serve with tortilla chips.
- 1 lb Winner’s Meats Bulk Italian Sausage
- 1 lb Winner’s Ground Beef
- 1 small box of Velveeta Cheese- cubed
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½-1 teaspoon red pepper flakes (may be omitted)
- 1 loaf party rye or pumpernickel bread
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- In a large skillet cook your ground beef and sausage until done (no pink) and crumble.
- Once meat is fully cooked, drain in strainer to remove excess grease. After draining, add the meat mixture back to the skillet.
- Add Worcestershire sauce, garlic powder and Velveeta cheese to mixture & stir until cheese is thoroughly melted. Remove from heat.
- On a parchment paper lined cooking sheet, place the party rye side by side. (Pumpernickel or rye bread cut in halves may be used if party rye bread is not available).
- Spread a large tablespoon of the Hanky Panky mixture on top of each party rye and bake at 400 degrees until the bread "toasts" and the meat and cheese mixture slightly bubbles.
- Serve immediately.
*Substitutions – For milder flavored Hanky Pankys use Winner’s Meats Sweet Italian Sausage instead of Winner’s Italian Sausage. For a spicier version, use our regular Italian sausage & add ½-1 teaspoon red pepper flakes to the mix.
This recipe can easily be served as a dip by adding the cooked mixture to a crock-pot and serving it with your favorite tortilla or snack chips. Keep crock-pot setting on warm, stirring occasionally. This can be a Gluten-Free recipe if you omit the party rye & make sure your Worcestershire sauce & snack chips are gluten-free! Or make it a gluten free meal by using the topping on baked potatoes!