This tasty recipe is a variation of our “Flank Steak Roll Up” that won Grand Champion in the “Specialty Class” Category at the 2019 (OAMP) Ohio Association Meat Processors Product Convention!
- 2-2.5 pounds of Beef Flank Steak
- ¼ cup Soy Sauce
- ½ Cup Olive Oil
- 6-8 Thin Slices of Provolone Cheese
- 2 teaspoons Winner’s Monterey Steak Seasoning
- 4 Slices of Winner’s Smoked Bacon
- ½ cup Fresh Spinach Leaves
- ½ cup Red Bell Peppers, sliced
- ¼ cup moist, chopped Sun-dried Tomatoes (jar version is good)
- ½ - 1 teaspoon of Chopped Garlic from Jar
- 12 – 15 inches of Kitchen Twine
Directions: (Prep 45 min / Marinate 4 hours /Cook 1 h – Total 5 hours 45 min)
- Place the flank steak on a cutting board with the short end closest to you. Starting from one of the long sides, cut through the meat horizontally to within 1/2 inch of the opposite edge. (You can also ask your butcher to butterfly the flank steak for you instead of cutting it yourself.)
- Mix the soy sauce, olive oil, and steak seasoning together in a gallon-sized resealable plastic bag. Marinate flank steak in the refrigerator 4 hours to overnight.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease a glass baking dish.
- Lay out the flank steak flat in front of you with the grain of the meat running from left to right. Layer the provolone across the steak, leaving a 1-inch border. Arrange the bacon, spinach, red pepper, tomatoes and mushrooms across the cheese covered steak in stripes running in the same direction as the grain of the meat. Roll the flank steak up and away from you, so that when the roll is cut into the pinwheel shape, each of the filling ingredients can be seen. Roll firmly, but be careful not to squeeze the fillings out the ends. Once rolled, tie every 2 inches with kitchen twine.
- Place in prepared baking dish, and bake in preheated oven for one hour, or until the internal temperature reaches 145 degrees F (65 degrees C). Remove from the oven and let rest for 5 to 10 minutes before cutting into 1 inch slices. Be sure to remove the twine before serving!
Substitutions: Mozzarella Cheese can be used instead of Provolone; or 3-4 slices of each may be used. Frozen chopped spinach can be used instead of fresh spinach. Garlic or Sun-Dried Tomatoes may be omitted. You may also use canned Italian recipe ready diced tomatoes instead of sun-dried tomatoes. Are you a mushroom fan? Try adding a ½ cup sliced Baby Bella Mushrooms. You can make a Greek Flank Steak version by substituting Feta Cheese instead of provolone & mozzarella.
DON'T FORGET TO TRY WINNER'S MEATS COMPLETE LINE OF CUSTOM BLENDED SEASONINGS - AVAILABLE ONLINE!